Nature Blog Network Wildlife Photography Blog Fatbirder's top 1000 birding websites

Welcome to the Pine River Review. Our sight is dedicated to our little homestead located along the Pine River tucked inside the Chippewa Nature Center's 1400 Acres of wild in Michigan's lower penninsula. We love to share our pictures, video, comment, and our own homespun music. Step inside our world as we celebrate this beautiful nook!


Friday, October 8, 2010

The Fungus Among Us

A slightly out of focus unidentified fungi. Unacceptable.
Ever since my daughter found The Audubon Field Guide to North American Mushrooms at her favorite resale shop and plopped it on my table I have been paying more attention to that which is at my feet. So began the mushroom challenge. Learn to photograph and identify. I am failing miserably. The creative minds of the Middle Ages figured out that the oddly symmetrical clumps of these strange plants were the work of the "Little People," and they were called Fairy Circles. This explains quite a bit. Fairies, Leprechauns, and Brownies all delight in confusing and playing jokes on the thuggish Human animal. Why can't I take a properly focused photograph of a mushroom after a thousand tries? The Fairies are nudging the controls a nano-second before I press the shutter, that's got to be it. Or maybe the Leprechauns shake the stalks and blur my attempts that-a-way. This I know for sure, between eating them, photographing them, and trying to identifying them I am getting nothing done around the house this haunted October.

2 comments:

  1. I like mine stuffed with crab

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book was certainly a good find. In fact, it seemed so serendipitous, that perhaps those mischievous little creatures disrupting your photos planted it in my path. Who's to say?

    ReplyDelete